Your dog loves fruit—but does fruit love your dog? If your pet is regularly trying to sneak fruit out of your bowl, you may wonder whether it is safe or desirable to add fresh fruit to his diet.
The short answer is that dogs can eat fruit, and even should eat it in moderation. But the longer answer is that some fruits are safe for your dog, and others are not. Let's discuss the safety of feeding fruits to your dog in more detail.
How Much Fruit Should Dogs Eat?
You can feed your dog small quantities of safe fruits as part of meals, snacks, or treats. You should not give your dog too much fruit, however, because it is high in sugar.
Here Are a Few Great Reasons to Feed Your Dog Fruit
Just as fruit has health benefits for you, it can also offer your dog the following benefits:
- Hydration. Many fruits contain a significant amount of water, making for a hydrating treat or snack.
- Nutrition. Fruits contain essential vitamins and minerals, as well as micronutrients. The phytonutrients, antioxidants, and enzymes in various fruits offer a wide range of benefits for your dog's health.
- Dental health. Certain fruits, such as apples, can help to remove plaque from teeth.
- Replacements for other foods. Fruits offer a healthier alternative to certain commercial dog treats and help close nutritional gaps in raw diets.
- Fiber. Fruits high in fiber can improve digestion, help your dog feel full, and contribute to other health benefits.
- Tastiness. Finally, if your dog enjoys eating fruits, the occasional fruit snack or treat can contribute to a feeling of psychological well-being.
But Wait—There Are Some Fruits Dogs Shouldn’t Eat
Although many fruits are healthy for your dog, some of them are toxic to canines.
Do NOT feed your dog:
Please note that this is not a complete list of all the fruits that dogs should not eat. So, look up any fruit you are considering feeding to your dog to make sure it is safe before giving your pet that fruit.
Additionally, don't forget that your pup could have an allergy or upset stomach to a specific fruit. How can you make sure your pet stays safe? When introducing new fruits to your dog's diet, do so gradually. Give your pet just a small piece to make sure that he doesn't react to it adversely.
Learn More About Fruits Which Are Safe for Dogs to Eat
If you have questions about whether a specific fruit is safe and healthy for your dog, keep exploring the other pages on our site. Our guides to individual fruits for dogs will help you figure out which fruits to add to your dog's diet to boost nutrition and which to avoid to make sure your pet stays safe.