A boxer is an energetic companion that enjoys playing and socializing. But after a day of running around, your pet needs somewhere comfortable to rest and recharge.
In this article, we’re going to check out some of the best dog beds for boxers in-depth. But wait—there’s more. We’re also going to explain the benefits of choosing the right bed, and we’ll go over key buying considerations specific to the boxer breed. Let’s get started.
Benefits of a good dog bed for your Boxer
Want to know a secret? Choosing the right bed for your boxer can have a huge positive impact on his health and disposition. Here are some of the benefits of picking the right bed:
1. Help maintain your dog’s body temperature. As brachycephalic animals (more on this below), boxers have a hard time cooling down by panting. So, a breathable bed is a must.
2. Support your dog’s bones and joints. This is essential for growing puppies as well as older boxers. We’ll explain more about this in the next section.
3. A routine and a safe place. Dogs need a place of their own to retreat to, and a comfy dog bed can provide your boxer with that space.
Features to Consider in a Boxer Bed
Give your Boxer dog the comfort and support he needs while resting. Image credit
Let’s dig a little deeper into some of what we just went over above and talk about key buying considerations when picking a boxer bed.
The Right Size
As reported by the American Boxer Club, adult male boxers measure between 23 and 25 inches at the withers, whereas adult female boxers measure between 21 ½ and 23 ½ inches.
As for height at the withers, a male will stand around 24 inches tall and a female will stand approximately 22 inches tall. Males weigh about 70 pounds while females average around 60 pounds. You need to pick a dog bed that can accommodate the size of your dog.
Sturdy Construction and Materials
Florida Boxer Rescue writes, “Most Boxers love to chew. Coffee tables, remote controls, shoes, chair legs, door frames etc… are all fair game.”
Additionally, as very social creatures, boxers sometimes don’t handle time alone very well. Separation anxiety or boredom may lead to chewing, so consider a chew-proof boxer bed. Look for materials that are more durable and last longer compared to a bed for a Pomeranian.
Room to Stretch Out
Remember when we mentioned that boxers are brachycephalic dogs? You might be wondering what that means.
The American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) explains, “Certain breeds of dogs and cats are prone to difficult, obstructive breathing because of the shape of their head, muzzle and throat. The most common dogs affected are the “brachycephalic” breeds. Brachycephalic means ‘short-headed.’”
That’s right—the short shape of your boxer’s head makes it hard for him to breathe. This is why your boxer sometimes breathes loudly. ACVS also mentions, “Many dogs with elongated soft palates prefer to sleep on their backs. This is probably because this position allows the soft palate tissue to fall away from the larynx.”
This may be one of the reasons why boxers like to spread out and have lots of space to sleep. Plus, beds that allow stretching out tend to be more cool and breathable, preventing your boxer from overheating due to being brachycephalic.
In fact, you can even choose a raised dog bed for boxers. The raised design is extra-breathable, allowing cool air to flow above and below your dog. As a bonus, it is harder to wreck than some other types of beds.
As mentioned before, orthopedic support can be an important feature in a boxer bed, especially for puppies and older dogs.
Boxer puppies go through growth spurts, which can involve painful nighttime cramps. So, firm support is a must if you are shopping for a boxer bed for a puppy.
As they age, boxers can be prone to both hip dysplasia and osteoarthritis.
So, here's the solution. For adult dogs—and older boxers in particular—firm support is also essential. And because senior boxers can lose mobility, a low, flat bed that is easy to get in and out of also can be helpful.
But keep in mind that breathing issues may require some boxers to sleep with their heads raised, so a bolster or pillow may be necessary.
Easy to Wash
Thankfully, boxers are not heavy shedders (for the most part). Nonetheless, Florida Boxer Rescue writes, "Skin conditions such as demodex (mange), allergies, hot spots, "skin-tags" etc…are also common." So, you are going to want to choose a boxer bed which is easy to wash.
Plus, boxers do go through shedding phases each year in the spring. Oh, and did we mention that some of them drool excessively? That is yet another reason to get a bed you can wash easily.
Boxers have a hard time keeping themselves cool because of their breathing issues, as discussed. But did you know they also can have a hard time staying warm?
Because boxer coats are short, they do not provide a lot of natural insulation. So, if you live in a cold climate, you may want to get your dog a warmer bed. In fact, if you have big temperature swings between summer and winter, it might be appropriate to invest in a different bed for each season.
The Best Dog Beds For Boxers
Now that you know what is important to look for in a dog bed for boxers, you are ready to check out some of the top products on the market right now.
1. Furhaven Pet Dog Bed
This ergonomic contour lounger is ideal for boxers. Its flat surface gives your pet plenty of room to stretch out, while bolsters on two sides give your brachycephalic dog somewhere to rest his head and breathe easy. If your dog likes to curl up and snuggle (on colder nights, for example), the corner formed by the two bolsters offers a spot to do this.
This overview is for the Jumbo size, which includes a 4” foam base and measures 44" x 35" x 8.5", but multiple sizes are available.
- Soft, comfortable materials like ultra-plush faux fur line the sleep surface and bolsters.
- The interior of this boxer bed contains egg-crate orthopedic foam. Not only does this foam provide joint support, but it also features a peak-and-valley design which boosts airflow, keeping your boxer cool. The foam is CertiPUR-US certified.
- You can remove the cover of the bed and wash it in your washing machine.
- You can purchase this dog bed in a wide variety of different colors and patterns.
- This dog bed is backed by a 90-day limited coverage warranty.
The Furhaven Pet Dog Bed is popular and highly rated by customers. To take a closer look, you can view it here.
2. Veehoo Elevated Dog Bed
Have a boxer that needs extra help staying cool and ventilated due to brachycephalic issues? Consider the Veehoo Elevated Dog Bed. This dog bed measures 42"x30"x7" and can support up to 150 pounds (other sizes are also available).
- The legs of this boxer bed are made of powder-coated steel, making for a sturdy, durable design. The rubber feet offer traction and prevent sliding—great for energetic boxers who like to jump up onto the bed.
- The sleeping surface is made of breathable textilene mesh, maximizing airflow. This material is also past-resistant and can hold up to scratching.
- Additional features include waterproofing, heat-resistance, and UV stabilization. All of these make it a suitable dog bed for indoor or outdoor use. So, it is perfect for your dog to relax outside with you during the summer.
- You can purchase this raised boxer bed in a variety of colors.
- The mesh surface of this dog bed can be washed in your washing machine.
This elevated dog bed is affordably priced and has received a lot of praise from customers. You can learn more about it or pick up your own at Amazon.com by clicking here.
3. Bagel Pet Dog Bed by Majestic Pet Products
Even though boxers often require extra room to spread out, there are always exceptions. If your boxer prefers to cuddle up or needs a warm dog bed for a cold climate, you can consider the Bagel Pet Dog Bed by Majestic Pet Products. This overview is for the 40-inch version of the product, but additional sizes are also available. This size is recommended for dogs between 45 and 70 pounds, however, so it should be ideal for most boxers.
- This boxer bagel bed contains premium high loft polyester fill, while the base consists of waterproof 300/600 denier material.
- The donut shape is cozy and warm while providing bolsters all around for head support and easy breathing.
- You can wash the entire bed in your machine and tumble dry it on low heat (keep in mind you may need a large washing machine to do this).
- You can purchase this donut-shaped boxer bed in a variety of colors.
If you want to read in more detail about the Bagel Pet Dog Bed, you can find out more or purchase your own here.
4. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is another good option if your boxer likes to stretch out, but also needs one or more bolsters for head support. This bed features bolsters on all four sides but includes a small "inlet" on one side to make it easy to climb in and out of bed. This could make it an ideal choice for an older boxer.
- The 4-inch base contains Certi-PUR-US memory foam to support your dog’s joints.
- The upholstery consists of a blend of 65% polyester with 35% twill, and is both comfortable and rugged.
- The bed's cover is water-resistant to contain spills and accidents and for easy cleaning. You can remove it and throw it in the washing machine and dryer when necessary.
- The cover is also certified “Skin Contact Safe,” so it is ideal for boxers with skin conditions.
- You can buy the bed in several neutral colors.
If you are curious about this supportive memory foam bolster bed for your boxer, it is available on Amazon (here).
5. Big Barker 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
Have a boxer with joint problems? For a luxury orthopedic dog bed, consider the Big Barker 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed. This bed measures 48” x 30” x 7”. It offers plenty of room for your boxer to stretch out along with a comfortable bolster for head support.
- This bed is manufactured in the USA and contains American-made therapeutic foam.
- The removable cover is made of 100% comfortable microfiber. You can throw it in your washing machine for easy cleaning.
- The manufacturer stands behind its product with a 10-year warranty, promising that over that time period, the foam should maintain 90% or more of its loft.
- You can purchase this luxury orthopedic dog bed in any of several colors.
- The Ryan Veterinary Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania uses these dog beds. They have a trusted reputation.
If you would like to explore the features and benefits of the Big Barker dog bed in-depth, you can click here and we will take you to the Amazon listing.
6. K9 Ballistics Tough Bolster Nesting Dog Bed
Does your boxer seem to be able to chew through just about anything? The K9 Ballistics Tough Bolster Dog Bed may just be the one dog bed that can withstand your pet’s mighty teeth and rambunctious behavior. The bed measures 34” x 40” x 5”, and is available in a smaller size as well. Several colors are offered.
- Marketed as the “virtually indestructible dog bed,” this product can stand up to chewing and scratching.
- The cover is waterproof and machine washable.
- The CertiPUR-US shredded foam filling is comfortable and breathable.
- The manufacturer offers a one-time store credit to replace the bed if your pet manages to chew through it inside of 120 days.
The K9 Ballistics Dog Bed is available to buy here. There, you can also read reviews about its durability and comfort.
Your boxer is ready to enjoy his most comfortable sleep yet. Click on any of the links in this article to buy one of our recommended boxer beds. Give your dog the support he needs to breathe easy, rest his joints, and wake up energized and ready for another day of play.